The First -ism

Yesterday I broke the news to my girlfriend.  Luckily she seems to like this whole idea and even offered her support.  Then our discussion turned to what would be the first lifestyle I would adopt.

Frankly I'm a little scared of this whole thing and I don't want to be overly ambitious as to my first attempt to live as an "other."  Then again, I don't want to pick something thats too terribly easy to do.  That'd just be cheating.

We came up with vegetarianism.  Not so far out of the norm that it will cause a culture shock and not too sissy of a choice that I'll feel sheepish writing about it.

So its settled, for two weeks after I begin I'll live without the main protein staple in my diet.  And to really get an idea of what this will mean for me I'm going to spend the next two weeks carefully tracking my normal diet, down to the last ounce of orange juice.

 I'll use an app on my Droid to note the calories and the nutritional content of everything and I'll keep that going when I turn to the dark side. This way I'll have a baseline to use when I analyze the effects of my first -ism.

Now, just to clarify I'm not going to be giving up all animal products.  I won't go full PETA just yet.  I'll leave that until I'm feeling a little more daring.  So far there still needs to be more research into it but I think I'll give up the flesh of any animal including fish, poultry and all the usual mammals.  Eggs and milk will still stay as fair game.

In the next few posts I'll detail what I find out about the different levels of vegetarianism and what it will mean for my general health.  I'll see a physician and perhaps a dietician to get a rundown of what it will mean for my energy level and what I should expect as far as digestive changes.  I've also heard that returning to meat consumption can cause digestive problems as the body readjusts so I'll look into that.

So far its all very exciting.  Expect more soon as things develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment